Step 1. Make sure you qualify (see FAQs below)
Step 2. Have SAA & SID data ready:
- Click SAA Data here for their Name | Ph | Fx | E
- Click NEW SID Data,
- or Click here if forgotten SID If you want to know what a SAA or SID is, see FAQs below
Step 3. Please use the calendar or quick links below to link to the application. If you’d like to download a PDF with dates and descriptions, click here.
Step 4. Once complete, you will receive an email with the “Application Form” with further instructions.
Due to updated and expanded spam filters, please add email@example.com to your contacts to avoid email issues. This will ensure that all emails between our system and your email providers will not be blocked or rejected. If you do NOT see an email that same day, please call SERTC right away 719.584.0584.
Step 5. Print the Application, sign and have your supervisor sign.
Step 6. Fax the Application to your SAA. It is your responsibility to follow up with your SAA to confirm receipt of your application. Applications do not guarantee a seat which are registered on a first-come / first-serve basis, depending upon seating availability.
Step 7. NEW REAL ID – NEW SITE ACCESS REQUIREMENTS FOR TTCI VISITORS
In accordance with the REAL ID Act being enforced by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security all visitors to federal facilities, including TTC, must provide proof of identification from a compliant REAL ID state . Prior to visiting our site, please use the following link to check the status of your ID. Instructions for individuals from noncompliant states are also provided.
Click here http://www.dhs.gov/secure-drivers-licenses
Quick Links to Apply:
- Click Apply NOW 40-hr THMOST (Tactical HazMat Operations)
- Click Apply NOW 24-hr CBR PER-327 (CBR)
- Click Apply NOW 40-hr HERS PER-291, (Highway Emergency Response)
- Click Apply NOW 80-hr HWMDTST PER-293, (HazMat/WMD Technician)
- Click Apply NOW 40-hr TCS PER-290 (Tank Car Specialist)
- Click Apply NOW 40-hr LMSTI PER-292 (Leadership & Management
- STEPS Senior – by request 719.584.0584
- STEPS Freight – by request 719.584.0584
- STEPS Mass Transit & Passenger – by request 719.584.0584
To apply, click the colored bar. The dialog box that opens has “Apply Now” links. QuickLinks also available at the bottom of the Steps, on the left.
See Course Descriptions
Qualifying individuals must be from state, local, or tribal organizations. Federal employees are not eligible to apply; however, they may use their own funding through Open Enrollment . Availability of cooperative agreement funding is contingent upon completing the application and SAA’s approval process. One application per course.
What SERTC courses fall under DHS/FEMA? Eight courses are funded by DHS/FEMA:
- PER-327 Crude By Rail Emergency Response (CBR), 3-Day, 24-Hr Course
- PER-293 HazMat/WMD Technician for Surface Transportation (HWMDTST), 10-Day, 80-Hr Course
- PER-291 Highway Emergency Response Specialist (HERS), 5-Day, 40-Hr Course
- PER-292 Leadership and Management of Surface Transportation Incidents (LMSTI), 5-Day, 40-Hr Course
- PER-290 Tank Car Specialist (TCS), 5-Day, 40-Hr Course
- COMING SOON IN 2015!! Surface Transportation Emergency Preparedness & Security (STEPS) –Senior
- COMING SOON IN 2015!! STEPS-Mass Transit Passenger
- COMING SOON IN 2015!! STEPS-Freight Rail
Where are the course descriptions?
What is the status of my DHS/FEMA Application? If you have previously applied before 2014, you will need to reapply under the new Cooperative DHS/FEMA Grant. If you have applied in 2014 or thereafter, and have not received any correspondence from either your SAA or directly from SERTC:
- Be sure that you printed your application email and obtained your supervisor’s signature, you signed your name, and faxed/emailed your application to your SAA.
- Contact your SAA to confirm receipt of your application. Confirm that they approved your application and faxed/emailed it to SERTC at (719) 584-0790 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact us at (719) 584-0584 to confirm that we have received your application. We can then discuss your individual situation.
What is the status of my DSH/FEMA Travel Reimbursement? If you have sent in your reimbursement form, please allow 6 weeks from the time it arrives to receive your reimbursement check. This link allows you to see what has been received
What is a FEMA SID?
PURPOSE: The FEMA Student Identification (SID) number is used as the unique individual identifier for all applicants requesting training at FEMA training facilities. The FEMA SID number is used as the applicant’s unique student identifier for the following areas: training records and continuing education credit through the International Association for Continuing Education and Training. Some facilities may still require the social security number for training medical records, travel authorizations, and travel reimbursement.
ROUTINE USES: The FEMA SID number is stored for a minimum of 40 years. This information is used by FEMA staff and its training partners on a need to know basis for Official Administrative purposes only. Release of an individual’s FEMA SID number or other personally identifiable information will not be granted to any person or agency outside of FEMA or its training partners without a written request for the information and written permission from the applicant, staff or faculty member.
DISCLOSURE IS VOLUNTARY: Disclosure is voluntary. Although without disclosure of your personal information we cannot create a unique FEMA SID number to use as a unique identifier in place of your social security number. Without a FEMA SID you may not be eligible for training at FEMA training facilities.
Why do I need a FEMA SID?
FEMA SID is required to register for and participate in any training provided by FEMA agencies. All FEMA training providers’ registration systems and enrollment procedures require a valid FEMA SID. Your FEMA SID serves as your personal identification number and merges/links/connects/combines all of your FEMA training records under one account to simplify keeping track of all your FEMA training accomplishments.
How do I attain a FEMA SID?
If you need to attain a FEMA SID click here: https://cdp.dhs.gov/femasid/Register.aspx. If you already have a FEMA SID, have forgotten it, or need updates, click here: https://cdp.dhs.gov/femasid/helpdesk/Authentication/RetrieveFEMASID.
How do I find other funding?
- Contact your SAA for possible state funding or other grant funding that may be available. With these funds, you may register as an Open Enrollment student.
- You may try www.grants.gov.
- Continue to check our website for additional seating.